The Milwaukee Road constructed their main line crossing of the Columbia River at Beverly, Washington from 1906 to 1909. This half-mile steel bridge was a major structure that served the railroad well from its opening in 1909 to its final train in 1980.
After abandonment, the bridge was purchased by Washington state, however the rails were removed and the bridge was closed off at both ends for safety reasons.
With the efforts of a number of trail, history, and recreational organizations, the Washington State Legislature approved funding to rehabilitate the Beverly Bridge as a continuation of the Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail across the Columbia River.
Cascade Rail Foundation was among the organizations that helped achieve funding for this project. Other organizations who advocated for this project include the Palouse to Cascades Trail Coalition, Washington Trust for Historic Preservation, John Wayne Pioneer Wagons & Riders, Back Country Horsemen, and Rails to Trails Conservancy.
This project is a major success for historic preservation advocates and trail users, allowing for continuation of the trail over Snoqualmie Pass and across the Columbia River on its way to the Idaho state line.